Created to honor the great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., MLK Day is celebrated on the 3rd Monday in January (this year it is January 15th). The spirit of the day is best described by his widow Coretta Scott King:
On this holiday, we commemorate the universal, unconditional love, forgiveness and nonviolence that empowered his revolutionary spirit.
You can read her full remarks HERE. Join in the celebration with one of the many family-friendly events happening in Nashville.
Let Freedom Sing with the Nashville Symphony – Nashville
- Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018, 7 PM – FREE (but you must have a ticket – find one HERE) – The orchestra and special guests will perform a mix of spirituals, popular songs, and classical music honoring the triumphs of the civil rights movement. Tickets will be available to the public at 10 AM on January 10, 2018.
Annual March and Convocation – Nashville
- In years past, there has been a Youth Forum at the Main Library the Saturday before Martin Luther King Day. However, details have not been released for 2018. Keep an eye out HERE for updates. (Map)
- Monday, Jan. 15, 2018 – Jefferson Street Baptist Church (Map) – Attend a Youth Program at 8:30 AM followed by a March to TSU at 10 AM, followed by a Convocation at 11 AM at TSU Gentry Center (Map). Learn more HERE.
Discovery Center – Murfreesboro
- Monday, Jan. 15, 2018 – 10 AM to 5 PM – Visit the Discovery Center for FREE and celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. with art, culture and more!
Belmont University – Nashville
- A full week of events begin with an MLK Breakfast celebration on January 12, 2018 and continue through January 19th. This annual program was established in 1997 and all the events are open to the public. See the full schedule HERE.
- Volunteer with Belmont, Fisk, and other area universities for the MLK Joint Day of Service on Saturday, January 13, 2018 from 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
Vanderbilt University – Nashville
- Join in a weekend of events January 12 – 15, 2018. This year entitled: Justice Through Collective Action: Fighting Oppression without Suppression. See the full schedule HERE.
Edmondson Pike Library – Nashville
See the documentary, “King, Man of Peace in a Time of War” on Saturday, January 13, 2018 from 2 – 4:30 PM. Contact the library at (615) 880-3957 for any questions or additional details.
Celebrating at home?
- Find an opportunity to volunteer and be a part of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of service.
- Host a Sunday Supper for your friends, neighbors and relatives
- Learn more about Martin Luther King, Jr. and celebrate his life though one of these family projects.