Get outside and participate in the annual Great Backyard Bird Count! Started in 1998 by the National Audubon Society and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, it is the first online community science project to gather data on wild birds. People in more than 100 countries participate in helping put together a global count over 96 continuous hours.
How to Participate
It’s simple to participate and something the entire family can do! This year from February 15 – 18th spend 15 minutes counting birds you see in your backyard, or a park or anywhere in your area. Register your family HERE and then submit your data after your count.
Want to be more prepared? Check out this “how to” slideshow and this picture based bird identification guide. You can also download one of these free apps to help with bird identification.
Local Community Bird Counting Events
Nashville Zoo – Feb. 10, 2019 – 11 AM – 1 PM
- Learn more about the Bird Count program, gain counting skills and practice counting on the Zoo trails.
- FREE with paid Zoo admission
Great Backyard Bird Count at Warner Park – Feb. 16, 2019 10 AM – Noon
- Learn counting skills and the count birds as a group.
- FREE – no registration required
Be a part of the first online community science project by gathering data on wild birds in your area.
- Bird Identification Book or App
- Create an account on the Great Backyard Bird Count website: gbbc.birdcount.org
- Collect your materials and go outside. You can count in your backyard, your local park, or any where in your area.
- Count birds for at least 15 minutes.
- Keep a list of the species of birds, how many you saw, and how long you watched.
- Enter your list online at Birdcount.org
- You can put in a new list for different days, locations, or times of the same day.
The Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual event that was started by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society. The count is done over a four day period in February. This year (2019) the count will occur February 15 - 19.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.